Looking north-east from Crookston Castle towards the Moss Heights multi-storey flats, 1955. Lyoncross Road is in the centre of the picture, and part of Crookston Wood is on the right.
Just visible in the far distance, the Moss Heights blocks were built 1950-1954 and provided some of the city's earliest high-rise flats.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.20 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
council houses, Crookston Wood, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, high rises, housing estates, housing schemes, landscapes, Moss Heights, multi-storey flats, woods