Rowing boats by the landing stages at Glasgow Green, 1955. The University of Glasgow and the Glasgow Rowing Clubs used a boathouse on the edge of the Green and these boats have probably come from there. Bystanders on the landing stages are watching the progress of the lads in the boats. The tenements and factories of the Gorbals can been seen on the south side of the River Clyde and the St Andrew's Footbridge is in the distance, left.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.19 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
bridges, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Glasgow Rowing Club, Glasgow University Rowing Club, River Clyde, rowing, rowing boats, rowing clubs, St Andrew's Footbridge, tenements