A funfair on Glasgow Green, 1955.
In 1871 the Town Council decided not to grant ground rents on the western edges of Glasgow Green to showmen and others during the Glasgow Fair, and the funfair and shows moved to Vinegar Hill in Camlachie. However, the Fair returned to the Green in the 20th century to a new home on Flesher's Haugh. The photograph shows visitors strolling between the stalls while the more daring fly through the air on the chairoplane. In the bottom right corner, a courting couple have just passed by a teddy boy with a fashionable quiff.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.17 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
carousels, chairoplanes, fashions, funfairs, Glasgow Fair, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, teddy boys, women