Pigs being unloaded at the Cattle Market in Graham Square, 1955.
Glasgow was an important centre for the meat trade and the market supplied towns up to 60 miles from the city. In the year 1955-1956, 12,216 live pigs, 2,050 home-killed pig carcasses and 5,068 imported chilled or frozen pig carcasses were sold at the market. 88,412 pigs were slaughtered in the adjacent abattoir.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.12 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
Cattle Market, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, markets, meat, pigs, slaughterhouses