Paddle boats at Victoria Park, 1955.
in 1886 J Gordon Oswald of Scotstoun gifted land to the Burgh of Partick on which to lay out a park. Work began that year and was completed mostly by unemployed men who had been laid off at local shipyards during a period of industrial recession. The park opened in 1887 and was named for Queen Victoria, who was celebrating her golden jubilee that year.
The ornamental lake was originally intended for model boats in the summer and skating in the winter. An island was built in the smaller lake for birds to nest on. In the background, left, is the Partick and Whiteinch War Memorial which was erected in the 1920s.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.11 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
boating, children, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, paddle boats, parks, Partick and Whiteinch War Memorial, ponds, statues, Victoria Park, war memorials