Bishop Mills in Benalder Street, 1955.
Bishop Mills was built in 1839 for William Wilson, a miller and grain merchant, and stands on the site of the medieval "Mill of Partick". The main building, with distinctive wheatsheaf finials on the gables, was renovated in 1987 and converted to contain twenty flats. The surrounding buildings were demolished and a car park and gardens laid out in their place.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined and each was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.9 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
Bishop Mills, finials, flats, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, grain merchants, Mill of Partick, millers, mills, wheatsheaves