A fruit barrow outside the Royal Bank of Scotland in the Trongate, taken by J R Murray in 1955. The fruit includes pineapples, pears and bananas.
In 1950 Glasgow greengrocers sold the largest amount of fruit and vegetables per head of population in Scotland, although this was still less than the national average in England. Fruit and vegetables were also sold in general provisions stores and from barrows. The tradition of selling fruit and vegetables from barrows has not quite died out in 2004, with stalls in Byres Road and Argyle Street as well as at several regular farmers' markets across the city.
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined in, each club being given a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, then in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.4 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
barrows, diets, fruit, fruiterers, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, street traders, women