A spring day in the Botanic Gardens, 1955, with beds of tulips in the foreground. Two babies are being wheeled in their prams, while the entrance to the garden is just visible through the trees.
The wrought-iron gates and the half-timbered lodges at the entrance were designed by the City Architect A B McDonald and erected in 1894. Rising above the blossom on the trees is the spire of Kelvinside Parish Church, designed by J J Stevenson of Campbell, Douglas & Stevenson in 1862 and built over old coal workings. In 2004 the building is set to reopen as Skerryvore, "a multi-purpose licensed arts and community venue."
In 1955 Partick Camera Club set out to create a photographic survey of Glasgow. As the project progressed, other camera clubs joined in and each club was allocated a district of the city to photograph. Glasgow Museums exhibited the photographs at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and at the People's Place, and in 1956 the exhibition was shown at the Palace of Art in Bellahouston Park. The photographs are now part of Glasgow Museums' collections.
Reference: 1005.97.2 / OG.1955.121.
Reproduced with the permission of Partick Camera Club
amateur photographers, arts venues, Botanic Gardens, botanical gardens, camera clubs, Campbell, Douglas & Stevenson, churches, coal mines, flowers, gates, Glasgow Museums, Glasgow Photographic Survey 1955, Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, Kelvinside Parish Church, lodges, Palace of Art, parks, prams, pubs, Skerryvore, trees