The Royal Clothograph made by John Munro the Paisley Artist Tailor.
Munro worked for eighteen years in his spare time to make his quilt which is made of "many thousand pieces of coloured cloth stitched together with silk, representing different scenes and figures, subdivided by beautiful borders of tesselated work." Along the bottom he embroidered the names of "men of learning and genius."
The clothograph was sold by subscription sale at Mrs Armour's house at 47 Main Street in Bridgeton on 8 March 1888, some time after Munro's death. Tickets were sold for 1 shilling (5p) each and the winning number was to be advertised in local papers the next day. The prize was the quilt (which had been valued at £150) and all proceeds went to Munro's widow.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
clothographs, embroidery, quilts, Royal Clothograph, subscription sales, tailors, widows