The opening of the Jewish Scout Hall in Queen's Drive on Sunday 1 June 1958.
The 93rd Boy Scout Group was formed in 1941 at the Queen's Park Synagogue. After the Second World War there were proposals to set up a second scout group in the area, but they were frustrated due to a shortage of adult helpers. Eventually it was decided to amalgamate the 93rd with the proposed new group and form the 93rd (Norman) Boy Scout Group. The group was named for Norman Markson, an Assistant Cubmaster who had died on active service in the Second World War.
The new scout group met at first at Strathbungo School, but raised funds to build its own scout hall. It opened in 1958 on a site in Queen's Drive provided by Glasgow Corporation.
The scout hall closed in 2002 and in 2004 the building is home to Poppins Kindergarten.
Reproduced with the permission of the Scottish Jewish Archives Centre
93rd (Norman) Boy Scout Group, boy scouts, bunting, children, flags, Jewish Scout Hall, Jews, kilts, kindergartens, nurseries, opening ceremonies, Poppins Kindergarten, Queen's Park Synagogue, Second World War, synagogues