A large silver bowl made by Robert Gray & Son, Glasgow 1832.
The body of the bowl is plain. A band of decoration consisting of roses, thistles and shamrocks runs around the rim. The foot is decorated with an embossed pattern of grapes and vine leaves, and the hallmarks are visible.
Robert Gray opened a goldsmiths shop in the Trongate in 1776. His son William joined the firm in 1802. As Robert Gray & Son they produced high quality work and counted many local merchants and gentry among their customers. Lady Maxwell of Pollok bought six silver wine labels in 1829.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
bowls, goldsmiths, grapes, hallmarks, Robert Gray & Son, roses, shamrocks, silversmiths, silverware, thistles, vine leaves