Communion cups made by John Luke (1665-1731) for Fintry Parish Church, c 1707-1711.
Luke was from a family of Glasgow silversmiths. His father, also John (d 1702), had many other business interests outside the family firm. They included a partnership in a "soaperie and candlework" in the Candleriggs and another in the Easter Sugar House. He was a joint owner of the ship Providence, Master of Works in 1646 and Treasurer in 1652, 1654 and 1660. The family home, Claythorn House, stood in its own grounds in the Calton.
Luke Jnr married Martha (1676-1762) the daughter of Matthew Miller of Glenlee. He was admitted to the Incorporation of Hammermen in 1699, and his test pieces are recorded as "ane gold ring, ane silver dish and ane silver whishell with seven balls."
Reference: E.1983.130.1 & 2
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
candle makers, chalices, City Treasurers, Claythorn House, communion cups, Easter Sugar House, Fintry Parish Church, Incorporation of Hammermen, Masters of Works, Providence, ship owners, silversmiths, silverware, soap manufacturers, sugar refiners