A woman's dress c 1880 sold by Moore, Taggart & Co.
Moore, Taggart & Co established their drapery warehouse in the Trongate in 1868 in part of the old Tontine building. Within a few years the company had leased the whole of the former Tontine Hotel. Moore, Taggart & Co built their business by offering customers consistent good value for money rather than by discounting goods or by holding sales. The warehouse was gutted by fire in 1911.
Reference: E.1996.11.1.a & b
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
clothes shops, department stores, drapers, drapery shops, dresses, fashions, hats, mannequins, Moore, Taggart & Co, Old Tontine Hotel, Tontine Building