Partick Castle, a watercolour painting by John A Gilfillan (1793-1864).
The building was erected in 1611 on the west bank of the River Kelvin (supposedly on the site once occupied by the old Bishop's Manor) for George Hutcheson, one of the founders of Hutchesons' Hospital and Hutchesons' Grammar School. It was in ruins by the 1770s.
Born in Jersey, Gilfillan served as a lieutenant in the Royal Navy before studying art in Edinburgh. He became Professor of Drawing and Painting at the Andersonian Institution in 1830 and remained there for eleven years before emigrating to Wanganui, New Zealand with his family. When his wife and children were killed during the Land Wars (also known as the Maori Wars), Gilfillan moved to Australia, where he died in 1864.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Andersonian Institution, art teachers, artists, castles, cottages, country houses, courting couples, Drawing and Painting, emigrants, Hutchesons' Grammar School, Hutchesons' Hospital, Land Wars, laundry, mansions, Maori Wars, Partick Castle, professors, Royal Navy, ruins, trees, washing lines, watercolours, women