Victoria Bridge watercolour by Sam Bough (1822-1878).
This painting of 1853 depicts the view looking west to the new Victoria Bridge. It was built to replace Stockwell Bridge, demolished in 1850 when the 500-year old structure could no longer cope with the weight of traffic seeking to cross the river. St Andrew's Roman Catholic chapel (which became a cathedral in 1889) is in the distance, to the right. On the skyline to the left is the spire of Gorbals Parish Church. The suspension bridge crosses the Clyde further down river.
The bridge was officially opened to traffic in 1854.
Reference: 820.86.279 / 1044
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
bridges, churches, Glasgow Bridge, Gorbals Parish Church, River Clyde, rowing boats, sailing ships, spires, St Andrew's Cathedral, St Andrew's Chapel, St Andrew's Roman Catholic Cathedral, St Andrew's Roman Catholic Chapel, Stockwell Bridge, suspension bridges, tenements, Victoria Bridge, watercolours