The City of Glasgow by J H Clark. It was drawn on the spot and published in 1824 by Smith & Elder of Fenchurch Street, London.
This aquatint shows the view of Glasgow looking from the high ground on the south side of the river, probably on land now incorporated in Queen's Park. Many of the buildings the north bank are easily distinguished: the cone of the Jamaica Street Glassworks is left of centre with a plume of smoke rising from it, and the spire of Glasgow Cathedral is a prominent landmark on the right.As depicted by Clarke, the landscape to the south of the river consisted of farmland, small weaving and mining villages and a number of industrial developments such as cotton mills and printfields.
Reference: 820.84.347 / U.19
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
aquatints, atmospheric pollution, chimneys, cows, farmland, Jamaica Street Glassworks, landscapes, panoramas, shepherds, Smith & Elder, smoke, women