The City of Glasgow c 1800, a watercolour by Hugh William Williams (1773-1829).
Washerwomen are at work in the foreground, on both banks of the River Clyde. The building on the far right is probably the Humane Society House, which was erected on Glasgow Green in 1795. Glasgow Bridge can be seen in the distance, connecting the Gorbals (left) with the Saltmarket and the city of Glasgow (to the right). The Merchants' Steeple stands out on the skyline, towering above the smaller buildings around it. Smoke rises from the cone-shaped Jamaica Street Bottle Works in the distance, centre.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
bleachfields, bleaching, bridges, cityscapes, Glasgow Bridge, Glasgow Green, Humane Society House, Jamaica Street Glassworks, laundry, Merchants' Steeple, parks, River Clyde, rowing boats, washerwomen, washing