Old Partick Bridge by William Dale, 1863.
The bridge was built to connect Partick and Yorkhill in the late 16th century and demolished in 1895. In the foreground a woman stands on the bank of the River Kelvin washing clothes. The famous Partick ducks (the favourite item on the menu at meetings of the Partick Duck Club) search for food in the river shallows.
Reference: 800.82.82 / OG.1948.131
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
bridges, ducks, laundry, Old Partick Bridge, Partick Duck Club, River Kelvin, tollhouses, washing tubs, women