View of the City of Glasgow in the County of Clydesdale printed by Alex Hogg at the Kings Arms, 16 Paternoster Row, London.
This view of Glasgow from the north east was based on an engraving made by John Slezer (d 1714) and printed in 1693 in Theatrum Scotiae. A man on a horse is shown crossing the Molendinar Burn on his way to Drygate. To the right are the Bishop's Castle and part of the Cathedral. The spires of the city are visible on the skyine, centre.
Theatrum Scotiae contained engravings of Scottish cities by Slezer and text by Sir Robert Sibbald (1641-1722). Slezer was a Dutchman who moved to Scotland in 1669 and worked as an ordnance engineer before being appointed a captain of artillery by the Scottish Parliament.
Reference: 765.89.232 / 1912.34.c
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Bishop's Castle, Bishop's Palace, bridges, Cityscapes, engravings, horses, Molendinar Burn, panoramas, spires, Theatrum Scotiae