The banner of the Glasgow and District Upholsterers' Society.
The society was formed in 1864 and adopted the slogan "Shelter for the Needy, Unite and be Steady'." It succeeded the Glasgow Journeymen Upholsterers' Trade Society which had been in existence from 1853 until c 1860 and which had itself succeeded the Glasgow Upholsterers' Friendly Society.
In 1891 the society became the Glasgow branch of the Amalgamated Union of Upholsterers. The membership stood at 126 but rose to 336 by 1896.
Reference: 44.82.135 / PP.1973.4
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Amalgamated Union of Upholsterers, banners, coats of arms, friendly societies, Glasgow and District Upholsterers' Society, Glasgow Journeymen Upholsterers' Trade Society, Glasgow Upholsterers' Friendly Society, trade unions, trades unions