Ships on Clyde oil painting by an unknown artist c 1830s.
This delightful painting shows Govan as a rural and peaceful village before the development of shipbuilding and other heavy industries. The small cottages left of centre are at the end of Water Row. The Govan Ferry crossed between the landing there and the landing at Pointhouse on the north bank of the river (the Pointhouse Inn can be seen through the trees, far right). The spire of Govan Old Parish Church is visible in the background.
The building in the distance, right of centre, is the Govan Silk Works, opened by Morris Pollok in 1824. It employed up to 250 Govanites by 1840.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
churches, factories, ferries, Govan Ferry, Govan Old Parish Church, Govan Silk Works, inns, landscapes, oil paintings, Pointhouse Inn, River Clyde, sailing boats, sailing ships, silk mills, steeples