An oil painting entitled Launch of the County of Roxburgh from Barclay Curle's Shipyard 1886 by John MacNiven (1849-1894). The ship is pictured slipping into the river in the distance, right, beyond the paddle steamer.
The County of Roxburgh was a four-masted full-rigged iron merchant ship that was built for the shipping company R & J Craig of West George Street. Launched in June 1886 from Barclay, Curle & Co's Clydeholm Shipyard at Whiteinch, she was intended for the Indian jute trade. The ship was wrecked in February 1906 on the Takaroa Atoll in the Tuamotu Archipelago, Polynesia, on a voyage from Caldera in Chile to Melbourne, Australia. Having lost her sails she drifted in a severe storm and could not avoid the atoll's reefs. At the beginning of the 21st century, the rusting wreck remains beached on the atoll shore.
A crowd is watching the launch on the left of the picture, from a section of the old towpath that stretched from Renfrew to Glasgow along the south bank of the River Clyde.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Barclay, Curle & Co, barques, Clydeholm Shipyard, County of Roxburgh, crowds, jute, merchant ships, oil paintings, paddle steamers, R & J Craig, River Clyde, sailing ships, ship launches, shipyards, towpaths