A model of a church made by the Delftfield Pottery Co and dated 5 August 1789.
This church is the only marked piece of Delftware ever found. It is made of pearlware, a variant of cream-coloured earthenware which was introduced by the Wedgewood potteries in 1779. The model appears to be based on a real church although the original has not yet been identified. It is also unclear what the model was for, although it must have been made to a customer's order.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Delftfield Pottery Co, Delftware, earthenware, model churches, pearlware, potteries, pottery