Shards of pottery found during excavations on the Broomielaw in 1975.
The Delftfield Pottery was established in 1748 at Broomielaw on the north bank of the Clyde. The factory closed in 1810 and the site was developed for other purposes. In 1975 sheds on the Broomielaw quayside were demolished prior to the construction of a dual carriageway along the river embankment and the Scottish Pottery Society organised an excavation of the area. Two trenches were dug to look for wasters which the pottery was known to have dumped on the foreshore until the practice was forbidden in 1759.
Most of the pottery shards found during the excavation were very small pieces of biscuit ware. Some larger shards were also found, including the decorated pieces shown here. The shards have a wide variety of shapes and patterns and show that the pottery was producing a wide range of items.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
archaeology, Delftfield Pottery Co, excavations, potteries, pottery, Scottish Pottery Society, shards, sherds, wasters