The exterior of Scotland Street School Museum in Kingston by night.
Designed by Charles Rennie Mackintosh, Scotland Street Public School was built 1904-1906 for Govan School Board. The school closed in 1979, opening its doors again in 1990 as a museum of education. The museum contains three classroom reconstructions designed to show how pupils were educated in Glasgow in Victorian times, during the Second World War and in the 1950s and 1960s, and uses exhibitions and activities to assist in telling the story to school groups and visitors. Other areas of the building have been restored to Mackintosh's original design and there are displays about his work on the school.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Glasgow Style, museums of education, primary schools, Scotland Street Public School, Scotland Street School Museum