The interior of Provand's Lordship, Glasgow's oldest house.
Provand's Lordship was built in 1471. By the end of the 19th century it housed the premises of a confectioner and an aerated water manufacturer but had fallen into disrepair. The Provand's Lordship Society was founded in 1906 to preserve the building and by 1908 had opened some rooms to the public with the co-operation of the owners. The Society eventually raised enough money to buy the building and begin restoration work. It also set about collecting furniture with the aim of showing what a domestic interior would have looked like c 1700, and in 1927 Sir William Burrell gave the Society a donation to assist the project.
The building was given to the City of Glasgow District Council in 1978 and transferred to the care of Glasgow Museums.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
furnishings, furniture, Glasgow Museums, interiors, manses, Provand's Lordship, tables, wooden beams