The exterior of Martyrs' Public School in Parson Street, Townhead. It was designed by Honeyman & Keppie, for whom Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928) was the senior assistant architect. The school was commissioned by the School Board of Glasgow and built 1895-1898. It is named for three Covenanters (James Lawson, James Nisbet and Alexander Wood) who were executed nearby in 1684.
Mackintosh was born in Parson Street and the red sandstone school is one of the earliest buildings on which he worked as an architect. It is almost symmetrical in layout (the symmetry marred by a chimney on the southern side) and has Art Nouveau features at the windows and doorways. As was common is schools of the period, there are separate entrances for boys and girls.
The building was acquired by the Forum Arts Trust in 1983 and at the beginning of the 21st century is in the care of Glasgow Museums, with some rooms open to the public.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Art Nouveau, Covenanters, executions, Forum Arts Trust, Glasgow Museums, Glasgow Style, Martyr's School, Martyrs' Public School, primary schools, School Board of Glasgow