A promotional voucher from Lipton's dated 16 March 1877.
Thomas Lipton (1850-1931) opened his first grocery shop in Stobcross Street in 1871. The store, known as Lipton's Market, sold a limited range of items, specialising in cheese, butter, eggs and ham. Lipton had a good understanding of his market and made great use of special promotions, such as this voucher offering the customer £1 worth of ham, butter or eggs for the low price of 15 shillings (75p).
Lipton had opened four shops in Glasgow by 1880, selling a phenomenal 1.5 tons of lump butter; 50 cases of roll butter; 1 ton of bacon; 1.5 tons of ham; half a ton of cheese and 16,000 eggs each day. By the turn of the century he had established a chain of stores in nearly 250 towns and cities throughout Britain and a dozen tea plantations in Ceylon.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
advertisements, grocers, grocers' shops, grocery shops, Lipton's Market, money-off coupons, promotional vouchers, provisions merchants, shopping, shops