A fob watch presented to Miss Isa P Ross on her leaving for Calabar by the Girls Auxiliary of Pollok Street United Free Church Glasgow 17 Feb 1917.
Both the Glasgow Missionary Society and the Edinburgh Missionary Society (later known as the Scottish Missionary Society) were founded in 1796. The societies were supported by the Church of Scotland and the Secession Church and became active in many parts of the world, including West Africa, India and the Caribbean.
The Scottish Missionary Society was active in Calabar (in south east Nigeria) until 1847 when the work was taken over by the newly founded United Presbyterian Church. In 1900 the United Presbyterian Church merged with the Free Church of Scotland and formed the United Free Church, which continued with the mission.
Like other Scottish missions in Africa, the Calabar Mission had a strong medical emphasis. Another typically Scottish element was the energetic role played by women, who worked as missionaries themselves or set up Auxilliary groups for fundraising and support.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Calabar Mission, Church of Scotland, Edinburgh Missionary Society, fob watches, Free Church of Scotland, girls, Girls' Auxiliary, Glasgow Missionary Society, missionaries, Pollok Street United Free Church, Scottish Missionary Society, United Free Church of Scotland, United Presbyterian Church, women