Robert Greenlees (1820-1894), artist and Headmaster of Glasgow School of Art, photographed by Duncan Brown.
Greenlees began working at the Glasgow School of Art as a pupil teacher, earning a small salary teaching elementary art classes part-time and pursuing his own studies and art when he was not teaching. He became the Second Master at the School and in 1863 was appointed headmaster, replacing Charles Heath Wilson.
Greenlees organised the relocation of the School from Ingram Street to the Corporation Buildings on Sauchiehall Street in 1868-1869. He supported Life Classes for women and employed women teachers at the School, including his daughter Georgina. Another of his innovations was the addition of ship drawing to the curriculum: in time, most of the designers working in Clyde shipyards were former Glasgow School of Art students.
Duncan Brown (1819-1897) was a talented amateur photographer whose work documented aspects of Glasgow life from the 1850s until the 1890s.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow School of Art Archives
art teachers, artists, Corporation Buildings, Glasgow School of Art, headmasters, portraits, ship drawing, teachers, women students