A Glasgow Orpheus Choir concert in the Winter Gardens at the People's Palace c 1910.
The People's Palace opened in 1898 and became a popular venue, with 770,807 visitors in its first year alone. As well as providing exhibition areas to display art, natural history and industrial collections, the Palace also offered regular musical performances in the vast Winter Gardens at the rear. The great glass auditorium was filled to capacity with what appears to have been a predominantly working-class audience for this concert.
The Orpheus Choir was founded in 1906 by Hugh Roberton (1874-1952), previously the conductor of the Glasgow Toynbee House Choir. The choir was renamed the Glasgow Phoenix when Roberton retired after the Second World War.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
choir conductors, choirs, concert halls, concerts, conservatories, Glasgow Orpheus Choir, Glasgow Phoenix Choir, glasshouses, music, music venues, musicians, palm trees, People's Palace, Winter Gardens