Red Cross vehicles outside Woodside Red Cross Hospital in 1917.
The Glasgow and West of Scotland College of Domestic Science (Incorporated) was set up in 1908 as a result of the amalgamation of the Glasgow School of Cookery and the West End School of Cookery, and was affectionately nicknamed the "Dough School". In 1909 the college launched an appeal to raise money for a new building and construction work started in 1913 on a site in Park Drive in Woodlands. When the First World War broke out the Red Cross approached the college authorities and asked for permission to use the new building as a hospital once construction work was finished.
The building continued in use as a hospital until 1919, when it was handed back to the college. In 1975 it was renamed Queen's College, and in 1993 amalgamated with Glasgow Polytechnic to create Glasgow Caledonian University. The Park Drive site was renamed Park Campus and in 2001 was sold to the University of Glasgow.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
ambulances, children, Dough School, First World War, Glasgow and West of Scotland College of Domestic Science (Incorporated), Glasgow Caledonian University, Glasgow School of Cookery, hospitals, motor cars, nurses, Park Campus, Queen's College, Red Cross, soldiers, University of Glasgow buildings, West End School of Cookery, Woodside Red Cross Hospital