A tartan bus at the corner of Sauchiehall Street and Kelvingrove Street in the 1860s.
This bus was one of a fleet of horse-drawn omnibuses owned by Andrew Menzies and decorated in his family tartan. Menzies became involved in the transport industry in the 1840s and by 1850 had nine omnibuses operating on the Bridgeton to Anderston; Bridgeton to Cowcaddens; Whitevale to Cowcaddens and Glasgow Cross to Anderston routes. He soon added two more routes, from Bridgeton to the Crescents and Port Eglinton to the Crescents ("the Crescents" was the name given to the area around Lynedoch Crescent in the West End) and began running holiday coaches to Glencoe, Glen Orchy, Loch Lomond and Oban.
Menzies sold his bus company to the Glasgow Tramway & Omnibus Co in 1872. By then, the business consisted of fifty buses and 500 horses as well as stables, offices and other premises.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
coachmen, Glasgow Tramway & Omnibus Co, horses and carriages, omnibus conductors, omnibus drivers, omnibuses, tartan buses, transport