Glasgow Cross Station on a wet day, c 1920s.
The sign on the former Glasgow Central Railway's train station advertises Eldorado South African wine, although the few passers-by hurrying past look more in need of a Bovril to stave off the damp chill of a Glasgow winter. A tram can be seen on the far side of the fancy ironwork surrounding the underground railway's wedge-shaped ventilation shaft. The Tolbooth Steeple looms over the scene, standing alone at the foot of High Street - the old Tolbooth building attached to the steeple were demolished in 1921.
The original ornate and octagonal Glasgow Cross Station was designed by Sir J J Burnett and opened in 1895. It was demolished in 1923 and replaced by this smaller and plainer building, which was closed in 1964 and demolished in 1977. The railings have been removed and the ventilation shaft covered over.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
advertisements, Caledonian Railway Co, El Dorado South African Wine, Glasgow Central Railway, Glasgow Cross Station, L D, railings, railway stations, rain, streetscenes, Tolbooth Steeple, trams, ventilation shafts