A poster advertising a mass meeting of the Associated Shipwrights' Society to be held in the masonic hall in Douglas Street (now Purdon Street) in Partick on 7 Nov 1887.
The Glasgow Shipwrights' Society was founded in 1845 to represent craftsmen working in Clydeside shipyards. In 1882 it became part of the Associated Shipwrights' Society (ASS) which had its head office in Glasgow. Two years later the ASS campaigned in support of the 1884 Reform Act and wrote to all its members encouraging them to attend the demonstration in Glasgow in September of that year.
The Society later became the Ship Constructive and Shipwrights' Association, then in 1913 the Shipconstructors & Shipwrights' Association. In 1962 the union became part of the Amalgamated Society of Boilermakers, Blacksmiths, Shipwrights and Structural Workers.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Amalgamated Society of Boilermakers, Blacksmiths, Shipwrights and Structural Workers, ASS, Associated Shipwrights' Society, Glasgow Shipwrights' Society, masonic halls, meetings, posters, Reform Acts, Ship Constructive and Shipwrights' Association, shipbuilding, Shipconstructors and Shipwrights' Association, shipwrights, Third Reform Act, 1884, trade unions, trades unions