The steamship Douglas on the stocks at Robert Napier & Sons' New Yard in Govan, 1858, photographed by Duncan Brown.
The Douglas was built for the Isle of Man Steam Packet Co. In November 1862 she was purchased by representatives of the Confederate states fighting to secede from the USA. She arrived in Charleston, South Carolina in January 1863, renamed the Margaret and Jessie and put to work as a blockade runner. She made another eight runs before being captured in November 1863.
The captured ship was converted by the US Navy as a gunboat which was renamed the USS Gettysburg. She saw active service during the remainder of the American Civil War, and then went in and out of service in the US Navy until 1879 when she was decommissioned and sold in Genoa in Italy.
Duncan Brown (1819-1897) was a talented amateur photographer whose work documents aspects of Glasgow life from the 1850s until the 1890s.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow School of Art Archives
American Civil War, blockade runners, Douglas, Gettysburg, gunboats, Isle of Man Steam Packet Co, Margaret and Jessie, New Yard, paddle steamers, Robert Napier & Sons, shipbuilding, shipyards, steamships, stocks, US Navy