Ingram Street looking east, photographed by Duncan Brown c 1858.
Duncan Brown (1819-1897) was a talented amateur photographer whose work documents aspects of Glasgow life from the 1850s until the 1890s. From 1845 to 1862 he worked as a janitor at the Government School of Design (the forerunner of Glasgow School of Art) at 116 Ingram Street.
This photograph was taken near the Sheriff Court where Brown's brother Peter worked as Court House Keeper. The Ramshorn Church is on the left. The ornate building with the gable tower on the right, at the corner of Brunswick Street, is a warehouse designed by Robert Billings and built 1854-1856.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow School of Art Archives
churches, gable towers, Glasgow School of Art, Government School of Design, Ramshorn Church, Ramshorn Kirk, Sheriff Courts, St David's Parish Church, streetscenes, warehouses