The steamer Mary Jane at Tarbert Old Quay in 1856, loaded with 600 boxes of herrings for the Glasgow Market.
The Mary Jane was built in 1846 at Tod & MacGregor's yard in Partick. Her first owner was Sir James Matheson of Stornoway in Lewis and she was named for his wife. In 1851 the ship was bought by Thomas Brownlie of Glasgow and sold to David Hutcheson & Co in 1869. The Mary Jane operated on a passenger and cargo service between Glasgow and Inverary until the winter of 1874-1875, when she was renamed the Glen Coe and transferred to the mail run between Islay and Loch Tarbert. David MacBrayne & Co became the sole owner of the Glen Coe in 1879.
The photograph was by Duncan Brown (1819-1897), a talented amateur photographer whose work documents aspects of Glasgow life from the 1850s until the 1890s.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow School of Art Archives
David Hutcheson & Co, David MacBrayne & Co, fish traders, fishing, Glen Coe, herrings, Mary Jane, quays, steamers, Tarbert Old Quay, Tod & MacGregor