West Lodge in Maxwell Drive, photographed by Duncan Brown c 1889.
This large Victorian house is typical of the up-market villas which were built in west Pollokshields from 1851. The villas in Maxwell Drive and in St Andrew's Drive to the north were some of the earliest to be erected in the area. Unfortunately, many were the subjects of compulsory purchase orders from Glasgow Corporation in the 1950s and were demolished to make way for high-density council flats.
The children playing in the street are well-dressed and the boy has an expensive high-wheel tricycle. Tricycles were originally developed for women but had become popular for boys by the 1880s. They were considered inappropriate for girls at this time.
Duncan Brown (1819-1897) was a talented amateur photographer whose work documents aspects of Glasgow life from the 1850s until the 1890s.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow School of Art Archive
boys, children, cycling, cyclists, girls, mansions, photographers, streetscenes, tricycles, villas, West Lodge