Pollokshields West Free Church on Shields Road on a snowy winter afternoon, photographed by Duncan Brown c 1880s.
The church was designed by McKissack & Rowan and built 1875-1879 in the classical Greek style popularised by Alexander "Greek" Thomson. The corner tower is probably modelled on the tower of St George's Tron in the city centre. Pollokshields West was subsequently a Church of Scotland and later still occupied by the Nithsdale Church Trust of the Plymouth Brethren.
Duncan Brown (1819-1897) was a talented amateur photographer whose work documents aspects of Glasgow life from the 1850s until the 1890s.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow School of Art Archive
Church of Scotland, churches, Free Church of Scotland, McKissack & Rowan, Nithsdale Church Trust, photographers, Plymouth Brethren, Pollokshields Free Church, Pollokshields West Church, post boxes, slush, snow, winter