Cathcart Castle photographed by Duncan Brown.
Duncan Brown (1819-1897) was a talented amateur photographer whose work documents aspects of Glasgow life from the 1850s until the 1890s. Brown had been a member of the Literary and Artistic Club in the 1850s and probably visited the castle at that time on one of the many club rambles. This photograph seems later in date and was probably taken towards the end of Brown's life.
The castle was built in 1450 by the Cathcart family, which gave the name to (or may have taken the name from) the Barony of Cathcart in the early 12th century. In 1546 the property passed to the Semple family which inhabited the castle until 1740, when Cathcart House was built a little to the south. In 1801 the castle was bought by the 10th Baron Cathcart (who later became the 1st Earl of Cathcart). Glasgow Corporation became responsible for the building in 1927 and demolished it in 1980. The row of cottages on the right was demolished in the 1920s.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow School of Art Archive
castles, Cathcart Castle, chickens, children, cottages, hens, Literary and Artistic Club, photographers, ramblers, rambling