The Mill Dam on the White Cart Water at Cathcart, photographed by Duncan Brown in the 1880s or 1890s. This area was originally part of the Hagtonhill Estate owned by the Maxwells of Pollok. The dam (actually a weir) was built for the Millholm Paper Mill, established in the 1720s and acquired by Robert and James Couper in 1853.
Glasgow Corporation acquired the woodland in 1919 and created Linn Park, which has been allowed to remain in its "wild" state. The word "linn" is derived from the Gaelic linne, meaning a waterfall, pool or ravine.
Duncan Brown (1819-1897) was a talented amateur photographer whose work documents aspects of Glasgow life from the 1850s until the 1890s.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow School of Art Archive
Glasgow Corporation, Hagtonhill Estate, Linn Park, Mill Dam, Millholm Paper Mill, parks, River Cart, weirs, White Cart Water