The old parish school at the top of Manse Brae in Cathcart, photographed by Duncan Brown, c 1880s-1890s.
The oldest parts of the building dated from 1718, when a schoolhouse was built on the site of the old manse. A large new schoolroom was added in 1798 and must have been a very welcome addition, as records from the period show that between sixty to eighty pupils were attending classes. However, conditions for learning were hardly ideal, as the school had earthen floors and was damp, and by 1829 the situation had worsened as the ridge leads on the roof had been removed. A modern new school and schoolmaster's house were built in 1830 and the old building was used for other purposes. It was demolished in 1938.
Duncan Brown (1819-1897) was a talented amateur photographer whose work documents aspects of Glasgow life from the 1850s until the 1890s. Many of his photographs were taken in the villages and countryside to the south of Glasgow, an area with which Brown was familiar and photographed as a young man and to which he returned with his camera in later life.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow School of Art Archive
Cathcart Parish School, crow-stepped gables, manses, parish schools, photographers, villages, window shutters, women