The Victoria Infirmary from Langside Road, photographed by Duncan Brown in the 1890s.
Campbell Douglas & Sellars won the competition to design the new voluntary hospital for the city's South Side in 1882. Building work began in 1888 and the infirmary was formally opened on St Valentine's Day 1890. The original buildings consisted of two pavilions set at right angles to a central administration block and nurses' home. Pavilions and other extensions were added later. The hospital was named after Queen Victoria and was granted permission to display the Royal Arms above the entrance.
Duncan Brown (1819-1897) was a talented amateur photographer whose work documents aspects of Glasgow life from the 1850s until the 1890s.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow School of Art Archive
Campbell Douglas & Sellars, hospitals, infirmaries, slush, snow, Victoria Infirmary, winter