A neo-classical marble relief depicting Archibald Ingram (1699-1770), photographed by Duncan Brown. Originally installed in the Merchants' House in Bridgegate, the relief was transferred to the Directors' Room in the new Merchants' House built in West George Street in 1874. Ingram was one of Glasgow's leading tobacco merchants and was involved in the Glasgow Arms Bank, the Pollokshaws Printing Co, the Inkle Factory and many other business enterprises. He also was a patron of the Foulis Academy. He was elected Provost in 1762 and 1763. Ingram Street is named for him
Ingram is shown kneeling at the feet of a woman who is crowning him with a wreath. Next to her chair is a shield bearing Glasgow's coat of arms. Behind Ingram are three figures. The one on the far left carries fasces (a bundle of rods tied together with an axe), a symbol of power in ancient Rome and which is probably a reference to Ingram's positions as Provost and a Dean of Guild.
Duncan Brown (1819-1897) was a talented amateur photographer whose work documents aspects of Glasgow life from the 1850s until the 1890s.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow School of Art Archives
coats of arms, Cochrane, Murdoch & Co, Deans of Guild, fasces, Foulis Academy, Glasgow Arms Bank, Inkle Factory, Lord Provosts, Merchants' Hall, Merchants' House, photographers, Pollokshaws Printing Co, sculptural reliefs, sculptures, shields, Tobacco Lords, tobacco merchants, women, wreaths