The Eastern Rifle Rangers on parade photographed by Duncan Brown c 1860.
Volunteer companies were raised in Glasgow between 1859-1860, drawing members from local factories and businesses. Many firms were supportive of the Volunteers, allowing men time off to drill (sometimes up to three times a day in the early years!) and contributing towards costs for weapons and uniforms.
The Eastern Rifle Rangers (otherwise known as the 66th Company Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers) was a Volunteer company of 100 men raised on 17 February 1860. Lieutenant Pattison is probably one of the officers shown here, and the men were predominantly artisans from the East End. The uniform was dark grey with black facings and lace and black belts. The 66th received financial assistance from the Town Council.
In 1861 the 66th became part of the 5th Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers, changing to a green uniform. Due to falling numbers, the 5th became part of the 31st Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers in 1873 and after a number of further changes became part of the Territorial Force in 1908.
Duncan Brown (1819-1897) was a talented amateur photographer whose work documents aspects of Glasgow life from the 1850s until the 1890s.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow School of Art Archives
31st Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers, 5th Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers, 66th Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers, children, Eastern Rifle Rangers, parades, soldiers, swords, Territorial Force, uniforms