Panorama of the City of Glasgow by John Knox (1778-1845). This oil painting of c 1817 is also known as Old Glasgow Bridge and Bishop Rae's Bridge.
Knox depicts the view looking to the north bank of the Clyde from the Gorbals. To the left, the cone of the Jamaica Street Glassworks (opened in 1730 and rebuilt in 1792) stands out at the north end of the Jamaica Street Bridge (also known as the Broomielaw or Glasgow Bridge, completed 1772), and down-river are the industrial chimneys at Anderston. Up-river from the glassworks is St Andrew's Roman Catholic Cathedral (built 1816), the Town's Hospital and the Palladian mansions of Allan Dreghorn and Bailie John Craig. At the north end of the bridge is a large tenement built in 1817. The Merchants' Steeple towers above these buildings, while to the right are the new Justiciary Buildings (completed in 1814), facing Glasgow Green and the Nelson Monument.
In the foreground people go about their daily business - watering animals, sailing on the river, gossiping. White painted gates can just be made out at the end of Glasgow Bridge, which was demolished in 1847.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Bishop Rae's Bridge, boats, bridges, Broomielaw Bridge, cattle, churches, factory chimneys, gaols, gates, Glasgow Green, hospitals, jails, Justiciary Buildings, mansions, Merchants' Steeple, Nelson Monument, oil paintings, Old Glasgow Bridge, panoramas, parks, prisons, tenements