A sunny afternoon in St Enoch Square, early 20th century.
The entrance to the Glasgow & South Western Railway Co's St Enoch Station is on the left. The St Enoch Hotel was built over the station entrance in 1875 and its facade ran along one side of the square. St Enoch's Church (rebuilt in 1827 but retaining its distinctive spire) occupied the south side of the square. The St Enoch Shopping Centre was built on the site of the station and hotel in the 1980s. The church was demolished in 1925.
St Enoch Subway Station was built in the centre of the square in 1896. It became a travel centre when the Glasgow Underground was renovated in the late 1970s.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
carts, church spires, churches, emigration, entrances, Glasgow & South Western Railway Co, Glasgow District Subway Co, Glasgow Underground, horses and carriages, hotels, post boxes, railway stations, squares, St Enoch Hotel, St Enoch Shopping Centre, St Enoch Station, St Enoch's Church, streetscenes, subways, ticket offices, travel centres