Windsor Terrace (later renamed Kirklee Terrace) photographed from the south-west in 1867.
Windsor Terrace was designed by Charles Wilson and built 1847-1863. The terrace, built on a drumlin to the west of the Botanic Gardens, became one of the city's most sought-after addresses and residents included the industrialist and inventor James Beaumont Neilson.
Great Western Road, opened in the 1840s as a turnpike (toll) road, crosses this view on a high embankment. The construction of the road opened up Hillhead, Dowanhill and Kelvinside to residential development.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
drumlins, Horses and carriages, Kelvinside Estate Co, terraced houses, toll roads, turnpike roads