The old Partick Subscription School on the east side of Kelvin Street (once known as the Goat, and subsequently renamed Keith Street) c 1890. The building had been converted to serve as a workshop for the joiner J Buchanan.
A school was built by public subscription c 1790 to replace an old parish school that had fallen into disrepair. The schoolmaster lived above the schoolroom, his living quarters reached by the stair at the front of the building. The school thrived for many years until pupils were drawn away to the new church schools established in the area during the mid-19th century.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
J Buchanan, joiners, Partick Subscription School, primary schools, subscription schools, workshops